Q: After belt replacement, belt tensioner squeaks and is loose

I took my car to the shop to get the belt replaced. After they installed the new one, they told me that the belt tensioner had a squeak and was loose, suggesting that they should replace it. They explained that it would be 3 hours labor and several hundred dollars. Before I proceed with this, do you think that when they replaced the belt that something might have happened then, to cause this belt tensioner problem?

More likely mileage and time wore the tensioner out. The tensioner bearing wears out with mileage - it’s good to replace the tensioner pulley/bearing when replacing the belt. The tensioner itself is spring-actuated, and the spring can get weak over the years. The squeaking is likely from the tensioner bearing itself. If you decide to get it fixed, consider YourMechanic, as a certified technician can help you replace your belt tensioner as necessary.

3. After belt replacement, belt tensioner squeaks and is loose