Q: After belt replacement, belt tensioner squeaks and is loose

I took my car to the shop to get the belt replaced. After they installed the new one, they told me that the belt tensioner had a squeak and was loose, suggesting that they should replace it. They explained that it would be 3 hours labor and several hundred dollars. Before I proceed with this, do you think that when they replaced the belt that something might have happened then, to cause this belt tensioner problem?

A: More likely mileage and time wore the tensi...

More likely mileage and time wore the tensioner out. The tensioner bearing wears out with mileage - it’s good to replace the tensioner pulley/bearing when replacing the belt. The tensioner itself is spring-actuated, and the spring can get weak over the years. The squeaking is likely from the tensioner bearing itself. If you decide to get it fixed, consider YourMechanic, as a certified technician can help you replace your belt tensioner as necessary.