Q: AC is not working enough for the heat

My 2011 Chevrolet Cruze isn't nearly old enough to be experiencing the problems it has now with the A/C totally malfunctioning. I haven’t even put 45,000 miles on it yet and the A/C blasts out hot air. The fan speed switch doesn’t affect it at all. The A/C stopped working properly while I was on a trip, so I am now getting it serviced after driving hundreds of miles in miserable July heat. How can I make sure this does not happen again?

It’s never pleasant to have to drive in the heat and having the air conditioner blow hot air. It definitely makes a bad situation worse! The positive thing is that your vehicle is already being serviced for this problem. There are several things that can cause your air conditioner to blow hot, from a fuse or relay going bad, to low refrigerant caused by a leak. Based on the information you provided, it’s likely that some debris or a small rock bounced up inside the grill and damaged your A/C condenser, causing a leak to occur. A damaged condenser will allow refrigerant to leak out of the air conditioning system and low refrigerant will prevent the A/C compressor from activating. Having your vehicle serviced and inspected regularly by a certified professional can help catch small problems before they become a big.