Q: ac expansion valve replacement

hi dan! my name is mellisa. I'm having a problem deciding whats a good price to pay to recharge and replace my expansion valve for my 2005 acura rl. i was last quoted at $990. i need help deciding and don't have that type of money to spend. can you please help me?

It costs around $500 (roughly) to replace the expansion valve on your car. However, the valves don’t go bad that often. It’s a rather simple part mechanically speaking and so a mechanic has to rule out ALL other possible causes of a/c malfunction before the valve is condemned. The first thing to do as you contemplate this repair is be sure you actually got a conclusive diagnostic. If you want, you can schedule replacement and the mechanic can look at what you have but if you have no written diagnostic in hand (from anyone) or a CREDIBLE explanation of why a mechanic believes the valve is bad, all that confirmation has to occur first so that you are not needlessly wasting your repair dollars. If you want to schedule an a/c diagnostic, please use YourMechanic’s a/c diagnostic page. If you are confident the valve is bad (confident it was diagnosed correctly), please request expansion valve replacement. If the valve is replaced without a diagnostic beforehand from YourMechanic and your a/c system still does not work after replacement, obviously further work will have to be done. I’m just trying to fully inform you for your own protection. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. ac expansion valve replacement