Q: 2011 CAMRY LE 2.5 NOISE WHEN GOING STRAIGHT AND GOES AWAY WHEN TURNING RIGHT OR MERELY MOVING STEERING TO RIGHT. SOUNDED LIKE A WH

asked by on March 07, 2018

NOISE WHEN GOING STRAIGHT AND CHANGES WHEN TURNING STEERING TO RIGHT. BOTH FRONT WHEEL BEARINGS HAVE BEEN REPLACED AND ALSO FRONT R/S AXLE THAT HAS THE BEARING ATTACHED TO IT. THE TIRES WERE CHANGED TO SEE IF IT WAS A TIRE ISSUE. TO NO AVAIL THE NOISE IS STILL PRESENT . HAVE SPUN THE TIRES AND DO NOT HEARING ANYTHING BUT A SMALL BRAKE SCRAPING NOISE NO CONSISTENT WITH THE NOISE HEARD WHEN DRIVING THE VEHICLE. DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEAS?

Car is making a noise Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

If wheel bearings are installed without using a calibrated torque wrench to apply the hub axle nut to the exact required torque specification, the bearings are more or less instantly destroyed once you start driving on them. This, indeed, is a common problem. I don’t know the conditions under which the bearings were replaced on your car but, unfortunately, the mere fact that wheel bearings are new (or perhaps "were" new) absolutely does not rule them out as a cause of the present noise. Fortunately, though, you can diagnose the wheel bearing issue on your own and rule that in or out. A faulty wheel bearing can be diagnosed, on the road, by driving the car in such a way that you "sequentially load and unload" the vehicle weight onto and off of the suspect bearing. If a distinct reduction in the noise level is detected when the vehicle weight is OFF of a bearing, that is a sign the bearing is bad. If you swerve left, thus moving vehicle weight onto the right side of the car, and the noise level markedly increases, the bad bearing on the right. Conversely, if you swerve to the right, thus moving vehicle weight onto the left side of the car, and the noise level markedly increases, the bad wheel bearing is on the left. Another diagnostic strategy is to use wireless chassis ears (remote, miniature microphones) placed on the steering knuckles. If the wheel bearings are OK, the vehicle will have to be road tested to determine the origin of the noise. If you desire that service, please request a vehicle noise diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will definitely, and readily, find the origin of the noise, especially as what you are describing is marked noise. If you do need wheel bearings, a YourMechanic professional, including the one who performs the vehicle noise diagnostic, can perform replacement on a mobile basis, right at your location. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.