Q: 2001 Honda Civic EX 2dr 1.7ltr 4cyl, flashing green key, stalled out. Replaced the Load, Idle Air control &map sensor, won't start

The green key symbol was flashing, the engine was stalling out. We had the computer checked at O'Reilly's and came up with 2 codes P1298 and P1129. We replaced the Idle Air control valve, the Load Sensor, and the Map sensor and put in a brand new battery. We checked all the fuses too. The car won't start.

The green key warning light will only be continuous when the engine is running if the immobilizer module or the PCM is faulty. If the warning light is still on constantly while you are presently trying to re-start the car, an attempt should be made to disable the immobilizer. If you cannot disable the immobilizer, please request a no start diagnostic. With regard to the two codes, part failure (of the electric load detector and the MAP sensor, not to mention the idle air control valve which is not even implicated in the codes you cite) is merely a possibility in a long, long list of diagnostic outcomes associated with those two codes. Unfortunately, sales staff (who are not trained in automotive diagnostic procedures) at stores such as AutoZone, Oreilly’s and what have you are showing customers "codes" and implying that those codes themselves represent a basis upon which to replace a part. The customer then buys the part thinking that installing it will resolve the code. The claim is completely false and contrary to the manner in which a professional mechanic would diagnose and thence repair your car. For both of these components, the load detector and the MAP sensor, there is a specific, detailed, step by step written test procedure, in the Factory Service Manual, that MUST be implemented prior to condemning any part. The reason that Honda has created a diagnostic procedure is to avoid replacing perfectly good parts and, of course, to help customers and/or mechanics find the actual underlying fault when a car malfunctions. The bottom line is codes are clues ONLY. Codes do not represent a diagnostic and a code can NEVER be the sole basis upon which to condemn and thence replace a part. My advice is to have an actual mechanic find the fault and get it repaired. And, if it turns out that the three components that Oreilly’s "convinced" you to buy were perfectly good, return them for a refund. If you request the no start diagnostic the mechanic will get your car started. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.