Q: 1996 Chevy K Pickup jolting on a highway

My 1996 Chevy K Pickup jolts back continuously on a highway--110 and 110 kmph. It only does that on high speeds and it is most noticeable on long trips. However, it doesn't do that in the city. What can cause it to jolt like that?

A: If at one speed you find it jolting like th...

If at one speed you find it jolting like that, it is often an internal transmission problem. The car is hunting for gears.

As old as the car is, if the transmission has never been overhauled, it is definitely due for the transmission overhaul. If in other speeds it doesn’t do it, then you may have to just live with it. I’ve got a customer who has a knock-around car he uses on weekends to hulk when his wife wants a bunch of dirt out of the back yard--he uses that and he just lives with that. He’s been driving for years that way. I would recommend having a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come take a look at your car and inspect the jolting issue that you are having.