Q: 18 inch suspension spring popped off and car uncontrollable

A suspension spring that is 18 inches long popped out of my car while I was driving it. The car became uncontrollable after the suspension gave out. I am so fortunate that I wasn’t injured or worse. This is a terrible design flaw by Mercedes. In my research I have learned that this heavier engine where there is additional weight on the front suspension is a daily problem for me and other drivers with this make/model. One of the service reps at the dealership told me that he had seen this happen before on the highway and he has seen it often. Luckily when he witnessed it on the highway the car had been able to get onto the shoulder. I am frightened to drive this car. Can you tell me anything that you have learned that could fix this problem on a permanent basis so that it will never happen again?

A: Hello. This will only occur if there are ot...

Hello. This will only occur if there are other issues with the suspension. If there are any worn out bushings or and corrosion, then the spring can either break and fail or if the other components fail then the spring can come out. This is not necessarily a design flaw, as this will not occur if the rest of the suspension is functioning as it should. If you need to have the car looked at more closely, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to the site of your car to inspect your steering and suspension and let you know what fixes are needed to make this car safe again.