P2269 code definition
Water in fuel condition
What the P2269 code means
This trouble code indicates that the powertrain control module has detected that there may be water in the fuel system. This indication is picked up by a sensor in the fuel tank that checks for substances other than fuel in the system.
What are the causes of the P2269 code?
Some potential causes of this trouble code would include:
- A faulty water-in-fuel sensor
- Damaged wiring or connectors associated with the water-in-fuel sensor
- The fuel tank may be rusty on top, allowing moisture to enter the tank
- The rubber hoses connected to the fuel tank may be cracked, allowing moisture into the fuel system
- A faulty powertrain control module
- Someone may have vandalized the vehicle
What are the symptoms of the P2269 code?
Symptoms of this trouble code that the driver may experience would include:
- The engine may run poorly or hesitate upon acceleration
- The engine may not start
- A Check Engine Light may be illuminated
- It is possible (but rare) that no symptoms will be associated with this code
How does a mechanic diagnose the P2269 code?
A mechanic will diagnose this trouble code by observing how the vehicle runs. The mechanic would locate the water-in-fuel sensor and check for damage to the wiring and connectors. Afterwards the mechanic would test the sensor itself using the manufacturer’s suggested procedure. Then the mechanic would use a dip strip or some other test to determine the composition of the fuel in the tank. If this test determines that the fuel in the tank is contaminated, the fuel would be drained and replaced with fresh fuel. If the issue has not been found after taking these steps, the powertrain control module would be tested for proper function, then all results of the inspection would be relayed to the customer.
Common mistakes when diagnosing the P2269 code
A common mistake that could be made when diagnosing this trouble code is to assume the obvious. Just because the powertrain control module thinks there is water in the fuel does not mean there actually is. It is important to follow all tests and procedures to ensure correct diagnosis of Check Engine Lights.
How serious is the P2269 code?
This code can be very serious as engines are not meant to burn water. This can cause poor engine performance as well as decreased fuel mileage. In severe circumstances, this can dilute the engine oil, causing internal engine damage.
What repairs can fix the P2269 code?
Repairs that can potentially fix this trouble code would include:
- Replacing the water-in-fuel sensor
- Repairing or replacing wiring or connectors associated with the water-in-fuel sensor
- Replacing the fuel in the fuel tank with fresh uncontaminated fuel
- Replacing the powertrain control module
- Replacing the fuel tank hoses or the fuel tank
Additional comments regarding the P2269 code
A water-in-fuel condition can be very harmful to your vehicle. It is best to get this condition inspected right away. You may want to invest in a locking gas cap in order to prevent potential vandals from gaining access to your fuel tank. Thieves can steal your gas via siphoning and vandals can add other substances to your fuel, potentially causing damage to your vehicle.
Need help with a P2269 code?
YourMechanic offers certified mobile mechanics who will come to your home or office to diagnose and repair your vehicle. Get a quote and book an appointment online or speak to a service advisor at 1-800-701-6230.