Your car’s title is an incredibly important document. Without the title, you cannot sell or trade in your car, and you can’t register it if you move out of Connecticut. If you’re moving to Connecticut, you’ll need the title to register your vehicle in the state. The title does one thing – it proves ownership. However, it’s a fragile document, and it can be damaged pretty easily. It can also be lost or even stolen.
There’s good news, though. You can apply for a duplicate title in Connecticut if you’ve lost yours or had it stolen, or if it was damaged to the point that it is illegible. The state provides two ways to get a duplicate title – you can apply by mail, or you can go to the DMV office in person. Both work equally well.
To apply for a duplicate title by mail:
- You’ll need to first complete Form H-6B (Online Request for Duplicate Certificate of Title Application). This form will have to be mailed to you and cannot be completed online despite the name.
- You can order the form by phone if you prefer – call 860-263-5700 for Hartford residents, or 800-842-8222 statewide.
- Complete the form and have it notarized.
- Include the $25 fee for a duplicate title
- Mail the payment and information to the following address:
Department of Motor Vehicles
60 State Street
Wethersfield, CT 06161
The replacement title should arrive by mail within 15 business days. Note that it will be mailed to the owner or lienholder, so if the car is not paid off, the lienholder will receive the title unless you have had them sign a lien release.
To apply for a duplicate title in person:
- Download and print or order Form H6B.
- Complete the form and have it notarized
- Include the $25 fee for the duplicate title
- Bring valid photo identification with you to the DMV office
- Bring a lien release with you if you are not the actual owner (if there’s a lien on the car)
- Visit your local DMV office to pick up your title
For more information, see the Connecticut DMV website.
Schedule Oil Change
The most popular service booked by readers of this article is Oil Change. YourMechanic’s technicians bring the dealership to you by performing this job at your home or office 7-days a week between 7AM-9PM. We currently cover over 2,000 cities and have 100k+ 5-star reviews... LEARN MORESEE PRICING & SCHEDULING