B1936 code definition
The B1936 code is manufacturer-specific body code related to air bags. In this case, it means that the engine control module (ECM) has detected a fault with the driver-side air bag circuit, receiving a short to ground signal.
What the B1936 code means
A code B1936 will be stored when the ECM has detected a resistance signal other than 1.61–5.77 ohms in the driver-side air bag module circuit. In addition, the wiring harness between the driver-side air bag module and SAS control module has signalled a malfunction.
What causes the B1936 code?
Several problems may cause a B1936 code including:
- Clock spring connector malfunction
- Clock spring malfunction
- Open or short circuit or short to ground or short to power supply in the wiring harness between the clock spring and SAS control module
- Driver-side air bag module malfunction
- SAS control module malfunction
What are the symptoms of the B1936 code?
Symptoms of a B1936 code may include:
- Check engine light may illuminate
- Air bag light may incorrectly illuminate
- Air bag light may flash
- Air bags may not inflate during a crash
- There may be no symptoms other than a stored B1936 code
How does a mechanic diagnose the B1936 code?
A mechanic may use several methods to diagnose a B1936 trouble code, including:
- Utilize an OBD-II scanner to check for a stored B1936 trouble code
- Inspect the driver-side air bag module connector
- Inspect the clock spring
- Inspect the wiring between clock spring and SAS control module
- Inspect the wiring harness between the SAS control module and clock spring for short to the power supply
- Inspect driver-side air bag module
- Perform SAS control module DTC inspection
Common mistakes when diagnosing the B1936 code
Detection conditions are for understanding the DTC outline before performing an inspection. Performing an inspection according to only the detection conditions may cause injury due to an operating error, or damage the system. When performing an inspection, it is recommended to always follow the inspection procedure.
How serious is the B1936 code?
Because a vehicle’s safe driving operation can be impacted due to faults that store a B1936 code, this code is considered a potentially serious code. When this code appears, it is recommended to immediately take your vehicle to your local service center or mechanic for repair and diagnosis.
What repairs can fix the B1936 code?
Several repairs can fix a B1936 trouble code and include:
- Clock spring repair or replacement
- Wiring harness repair or replacement between SAS control module and clock spring
- Driver-side air bag module repair or replacement
- SAS control module repair or replacement
Additional information related to a B1936 code
Handling the air bag system components improperly can accidentally deploy the air bag modules and pre-tensioner seat belts, which can seriously injure you and those around you. Read the service warnings and cautions before handling the air bag system components. Anything related to air bag repairs can be both difficult and dangerous, and is often best left to professionals for diagnosis and repair. If making any repairs at home, take care with the air bags when removed from the vehicle.
Need help with a B1936 code?
YourMechanic offers certified mobile mechanics who will come to your home or office to diagnose and repair your vehicle. Get a quote and book an appointment online or speak to a service advisor at 1-800-701-6230.