Q: White smoke coming from the exhaust when first starting.

Most days when starting the truck Im the morning when starting it kind of has troubles starting and then when it starts it's shoots a big clouds of white smoke until it warms up 5 minutes later

Hi there. White smoke out of the tail pipe at initial start up is typically caused by radiator fluid that has found its way into the engine oil. As a diesel truck owner, you understand how black smoke is caused by "soot" or carbon not burnt in the combustion chamber. The white smoke comes from initial burning of oil or other fluids inside the combustion chamber; but can be the valve guides in the cylinder head. The best way to determine the exact source is to have one of our local mechanics inspect your Chevrolet C3500 at the comfort of your home or work.