Q: What precautions should I follow when starting the engine?

What precautions should I follow when starting the engine?

A: While starting your engine is as simple as ...

While starting your engine is as simple as turning the key and then releasing it once the engine is running, there are some things you should know. The following precautions will help prevent damage to your engine, as well as ensure your safety:

• Don’t press the gas while starting the engine.

• Always make sure the car is in park before starting the engine.

• Don’t hold the key in the start position for more than 30 seconds.

• If the engine isn’t running, avoid leaving the key in the on or accessory position as it can drain your battery.

• If the engine is slow to start, or if it stalls after starting, have it inspected right away.

• Always sit in the driver seat to crank the car (don’t crank it by leaning into the car to turn the key).