Q: My car is leaking oil. How do i find out where its leaking from?

asked by on February 08, 2017

My car is leaking oil. It's in the middle right behind the front tires. My mechanic said the underside of my car is too oily & grimy to tell. He Told me to take it to a car wash to clean under it, then call him back & he'll check again. Wasn't there another way to check to see where it's leaking without me having to have two mechanic's charges to find out?

Oil/Fluid Leak Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

When it comes to oil leaks, if your car is typical, there is probably more than one leak point. Without pre-cleaning the engine, it is possible to put a fluorescent dye into the engine oil, run the engine, and then use a UV detection light to see the tagged (fluorescent) oil as it leaks out. Even if the engine is cleaned up, you may still have to use that technique to find all the leaks. What you may end up doing is just fixing the biggest leaks because to really fix all oil leaks in many engines you have to literally remove the engine and partially disassemble it particularly when it comes to camshaft seals, rear main seals, torque converter seals and so forth. In fact, seals and gaskets have turned out to be the weak link in modern engines. Mechanically, engines seem to last forever but inasmuch as the seals are typically rubber products they fail relatively early creating a big mess as you are finding out. If you desire, a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, can perform an oil leak diagnostic and then let you know of your repair options and costs. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.