Q: What do I do if is overheating?

What do I do if is overheating?

Overheating is a critical situation for your engine. If you notice the temperature gauge pushing into the red, you need to take immediate action to prevent serious damage. Here’s what to do:

1. Slow down and pull off the road.

2. Set the parking brake and put the transmission in park.

3. Leave the engine running.

4. Turn off the A/C if it’s on.

5. Open your windows.

6. Turn the heat to full and the blower to high.

7. Step out of the car (make sure you’re safely out of traffic).

8. Check for steam coming from under the hood (do not open the hood).

9. If you see steam, leave the hood closed until it stops.

10. Open the hood if there is no steam, or if the steam has stopped.

11. Check for damaged coolant system components (a ruptured hose is the most likely,

but there could be other problems).

1. If you see that a belt is broken or that coolant is leaking, stop the engine.

2. Let the engine cool down and then check the coolant. Never check engine coolant

while it is hot – it can result in serious burns.

1. If the coolant is low, top it off.

2. Have your vehicle inspected and repaired.