Should I worry about the water pump in my 2011 BMW 328i b...

Q: Should I worry about the water pump in my 2011 BMW 328i

asked by on February 06, 2017

In the next couple of weeks I am going to be driving from Pennsylvania to Tennessee to visit my daughter. I have a 2011 BMW 328xi with 90,000 miles on it. I have heard a lot of stories about the water pump on these models being a weak point. Should I replace the water pump prior to my trip or am I just being paranoid reading to many forum posts? I don't believe it has ever been changed.

Hello. I would not recommend changing the water pump unless there is an issue with it. It is common for the water pump to fail, but it does show signs of leakage first. ANy good mechanic can check it to see if it is starting to leak. Also, having the coolant changed as it should be can extend the life of the pump. If you want to have this checked out, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to you to [see if the water pump is having any issues] https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/coolant-is-leaking-inspection