Q: Trouble starting the car.

asked by on December 13, 2016

Car doesn't "turn over" when I turn the key in the ignition. It hiccups, then even turns on and off electrically like it's trying to start, even after the key is removed from the ignition. I attempted to charge the battery, assuming it was dead, but it's still not working.

It sounds like you may have a faulty starter solenoid. The starter solenoid is located on the starter and has internal electrical contacts that transmit electricity to the starter. When this fails, it may cause a clicking sound and will not allow the starter to engage the flywheel when you turn the key. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your home to diagnose your starter.