Q: Transmission stuck in park

asked by on June 27, 2016

The transmission in my car wouldn't shift out park on several occasions, for which I went to the dealership multiple times. This started happening about a month ago. At the dealership, they had the gear shift mechanism replaced. However, the problem occurred again despite that. What could be problem?

Car does not shift from park to drive Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello there, a few different faults can cause the transmission to become stuck in park like this. The most common are the transmission range switch, neutral safety switch, or a brake switch issue.

Faults that occur intermittently like this can take some time to diagnose until the fault can be duplicated. I’d recommend getting the vehicle inspected by a qualified technician who will be able to diagnose your shifting issue and perform any repairs that are required.