Q: Transmission failsafe program comes on dash 2001 BMW X5

Recently transmission failsafe program comes on my dash .did a manual reset of my computer and changed battery didn't resolve the issue . Feel a kick when I put The car in reverse only . Any suggestions what it could be . Thanks

Hi there - the first task is to have the transmission fluid level checked. This will require technical assistance and a lift, since there is no dipstick on this model, and the fluid level "port" is underneath. Correct fluid temperature is also required. If the fluid level is correct, and this is "lifetime" fluid, I would then recommend a transmission inspection by a reputable transmission shop, or by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs. There may be a problem with fluid pressure internally to the transmission (pump or valve issue), or a transmission clutch problem.

3. Transmission failsafe program comes on dash 2001 BMW X5