Q: TPMS light comes on frequently, but false alarms

The Tire Pressure Monitoring System light has been frequently turning on while driving. Several times I have been to the service department and every time I am told that they can not find any problem. I learned that there is a known defect of the TPMS light going on when something is being charged. Since this would mean it’s not the service departments problem, I only charge when necessary. However the TPMS light goes on even when nothing is in the charger. According to the manual, when it goes on I am supposed to go immediately to the service department. Since mine is going on so frequently, it is impossible to take it in every time and I work full time.

Everytime it goes on, my family and I feel so stressed because we hope it’s a false alarm like the other times. And each time, sure enough it has been false alarms, but this is causing too much stress! There is no pattern to this - no rhyme or reason as to why or when it will light up. What worries me is that I’ve gotten to the point where I assume it is a false alarm and what if one time it happens and it is a Real Warning! I have no confidence in my car, constantly stressed, waiting for something to go wrong. In your expertise, what is causing this and what will fix it?

The TPMS light may be illuminating due to a faulted sensor giving a false reading, and unfortunately, these are difficult to track down without replacing all of the sensors at the same time (which can be pricey). The vehicle has a tire pressure monitoring system, but it is still a good idea to keep a tire pressure gauge handy. It doesn’t take much time to take a walk around the car and check the tires before leaving your home. As long as you know that the tire pressure is where it needs to be, you have less to worry about for this particular light. If you would like a separate technician to scope out this problem for you, a certified technician from YourMechanic can inspect the TPMS Light at your home or office so that you do not need to spend time bringing the car into the service department.