Q: 2001 Honda Civic can't go over 4000 RPM

I have a 2001 Honda Civic and it would not get farther than 4000 RPM. What should I check?

First thing to do would be to change the fuel filter and see if that fixes it. If that doesn’t fix it, have the fuel pump pressure tested, to see if the fuel pump is weak because that would often cause this. If it’s not that, then have the catalytic converter pressure tested.

If the catalytic converter is restricted, then it can’t get the exhaust out and it often goes to a certain low RPM and then stops. So have all those three things checked. Odds are that it’s one of them.

If you would like to have these tests done for you at your home or office, a technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your RPM issue.