Q: The vehicle is 4wd drive and wont shift back to 2wd.

asked by on September 03, 2016

The 4wd indicator lights keep flashing for the front tires and even thou the gear shift appear to be in 2wd the transfer case stays in 4 high. I checked the transfer case lubricant level and filled it up. How can I make it go back into 2 high? Thanks

Hello there. You have one of a few possible things going on with your 1992 Mitsubishi Montero. If the gearshift shows 2WD and the vehicle is in 4 high, the most likely fault is either the transfer case shift linkage is faulty, or that the transfer case has an internal failure. The transfer case linkage is much more common. A qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose this shift fault and pinpoint the repairs that are required.