Q: The check engine light is on and it's say gas cap what price range am I lookin at to have it fixed

asked by on February 25, 2017

The check engine light is on and it's saying gas cap want price range am I looking at to get it fixed

Check Engine Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

If you are referring to the warning light for a loose gas cap loose and/or Diagnostic Trouble Code P0442, a loose or defective gas cap is merely one possible reason for the warning light or the Code. You could have a leak in the EVAP system. The most common fault though is a loose or defective gas cap and so initially you should check the rubber o-ring seal on the cap, as well as the mating area on the filler pipe, for dirt, irregularities, or other defects that might be preventing the cap from properly sealing at the filler tube. Clean or address any problems you see as needed and then re-apply the cap. Erase any stored Code (such as P0442). If the light, or Code, returns the recommended service is a check engine light diagnostic which costs $70-80 depending on your location. If you request the check engine light diagnostic a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.