Q: Starts up fine and runs while idle but when I switch gear out of park it shuts off. No code lights on

My 2013 Sentra starts up fine and runs idle but when switching gear from park it shuts off. There are no warning lights on and no codes run back when checked.

Hello there. Sometimes a cars engine will shut off when you shift into gear for a few different reasons. Most of the time, it’s due to a fuel restriction issue, where the engine is not getting enough fuel or not the right mixture of fuel to air. This can be caused by dirty fuel injectors, a mass air flow sensor that is dirty or damaged, or even an air filter that is in need of replacement. In other cases, this is caused by a vacuum leak or idle control valve that is faulty. The best way to correctly diagnose this issue and to ensure the right repairs are made is to have one of our professional mobile mechanics come to your location and complete an engine starts then dies inspection. Once they isolate the root cause of this problem, they can either recommend or complete the right repairs to resolve this issue for you.

3. Starts up fine and runs while idle but when I switch gear out of park it shuts off. No code lights on