Q: Starter / or battery ?

How likely is a mechanic to replace a starter with a Toyota part vs some other brand?? I am getting varied answers to this...but mostly from what I am told and what I read online is that if my car is able to be jumped (easily) with cables...no fails on that...that my problem is NOT the starter (or it would not be able to be jump started)....is this TRUE or NOT??? Please help

A: This is correct. If your car’s starter was...

This is correct. If your car’s starter was failing, it would not be able to be jump started since the power from being jump started is still eventually sent to the starter via jumper cables rather than your car’s own battery. Sometimes when the battery is very weak or there is a problem with the starter relay, the car will make a clicking sound or just simply not crank which is often times misdiagnosed as a bad starter. If your car is able to be started with jumper cables, your problem is not the starter, but most likely a weak battery. I would recommend taking the battery into your local auto parts store to have it tested. Then if you realize this is the case, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to replace your battery at your convenience.

Recommended services
Get a Quote