Q: start and go

During the winter, we lost the key to our truck. Brought it to the dealer and had a key made. Ever since then, it has a start and go problem. Brought it back to the dealer snd they put in a new starter. Worked ok for a few days, but went right back to the problem. Took it backseveral times, they couldn't find anything. Still doing it. Perplexed!! Whatdo think is going on?

A: Your truck is equipped with an immobilizer ...

Your truck is equipped with an immobilizer that may be having a problem intermittently reading the key. The immobilizer is a security feature that has to recognize the chip built into you key in order for the vehicle to start. It’s a great anti theft feature, but unfortunately adds a whole new element into problems with cars not starting. If the problem started only once the new key was used, then it’s likely a problem with the new key, though the entire system should be checked for proper operation. Unfortunately immobilizer part replacements usually can only be done at the dealership, but for a second opinion, you can have the system diagnosed by an independent technician, such as one form YourMechanic.