Q: Squeaking sound - 1990 Chevrolet K2500

Ok so my pickup out of random started squeaking. I replaced everything i can think of. Gone through 4 different brands of belts, replaced ac bypass pulley twice, tensioner pulley twice, rebuilt water pump, checked power steering pump, replaced power steering pump pulley, replaced alternator, checked tension on belt. Ive done all this. When i drive it sounds more like a smacking sound but the noise decreases as i drive more but never goes away. It does it at idle and at driving. I haven't replaced the harmonic balancer but i don't know if it would cause this sound. Ive taken it into 3 different shops and they don't know.

A: Hi there. It sounds like it could be a harm...

Hi there. It sounds like it could be a harmonic balancer. Before replacing the balancer, check the radiator fan to see if the blades are hitting the shroud or anything else.

Also check the fan clutch, if equipped, for abnormal operation and a possible cause for the noise. Remove the belt and see if the noise goes away; if it remains, then the balancer may be at fault.

It definitely sounds like you’ve covered many of the other possibilities. I strongly suggest having a qualified technician perform an inspection to avoid replacing unnecessary parts. YourMechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with an inspection of the squeaking noise, if you would like to have a mechanic service your car at your location. From there, they can follow up with any needed repairs.