Q: Replaced the engine - now change the oil already? 2005 Cadillac Escalade

I recently had a remanufactured engine installed and i heard you should change the oil after 600 miles. Is this necessary and if so what is the purpose for it? Is this needed for a warranty to cover repairs?

Hi - an initial oil change, sometimes called a "break-in" oil change, is a good idea, and is recommended for between 500-1000 miles after a rebuild. Moving components in the engine literally "wear in", despite engine oil, smoothing microscopically, and creating minute bits of metal and debris which is suspended in the oil, and captured by the oil filter. Changing the oil and filter removes this debris. Check your engine supplier warranty to determine whether this is required for warranty purposes or not, but it’s certainly a good idea, and a cheap investment for long engine life. I would recommend an engine oil & filter service by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, and perform this service.

3. Replaced the engine - now change the oil already? 2005 Cadillac Escalade