Q: Replace timing belt.

The code readout said the camshaft position sensor needed replacing. I replaced it and it still sounds the same, though no new code comes up. I think the timing belt needs replacing.

Camshaft and Crankshaft position sensors are somewhat common failures seen in the Hyundai Santa Fe, mainly due to the temperature abuse they both receive inside of the engine. From extreme hot when the engine runs, to very cool ambient temperature that can drop it to more than 200 degrees difference, it is no wonder these parts begin to crack or break apart internally. When either of these parts fail, they can’t do their job letting the computer know where the crankshaft and camshafts are positioned. This leads the problem you experienced.

In regards to your timing belt, Hyundai’s maintenance schedule recommends changing the timing belt every 90k or having it checked every 2 years, whichever comes first. If you have not replaced the timing belt, or have not had it checked in the last couple of years, it is a highly recommended that you get this service done to keep your engine safe from internal engine damage. Timing belts seem to fail at the worst times and there are usually no signs it is going to happen. You do not want to be in a situation where you are stuck at the grocery store because your timing belt has failed, or worse, have your car die while driving. Make sure this is a service you get done so it gives you the peace and mind that you’re doing what is needed to keep your car reliable.

3. Q: Replace timing belt.