Q: Starting issues

asked by on March 15, 2017

Had a new starter replace 2x on my 2000 Nissan Xterra V6 2WD,it's starts sometime and then sometime I have wait few minute. when it don't then it will start

Hello and thanks for writing in. Depending on what the vehicle does when trying to start it may help to narrow this down. If it produces a click sound, this may be related to a faulty starter solenoid. If it is more of a rapid clicking sound, this may be a result of a weak battery that does not have sufficient power to turn the motor over. If there is no sound at all, but power is still supplied to the accessories (i.e. radio, lights, etc), but no response when turning the key, then this may be related to a faulty starter relay. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at your vehicle to properly diagnose your starting problem.

Sounds like the starter relay is getting hot and is shutting off the circuit to the starter solenoid. Check to see if the starter relay is getting hot and staying hot after attempting to start the engine. If it does, then the starter relay needs replaced as the contact points inside the relay are corroded or damaged. If the relay is not getting hot, then the there could be a loose wire on the starter solenoid or a loose ground wire on the starter base. Check all wiring and cables to the start and tighten them all up.

If there is nothing wrong with the wiring or relay, then you may have a defective ignition switch. If you need further assistance with your starter not engaging properly after replacing the starter, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.