Q: Power steering loss

My car loses its power steering when driving at very low speed. It happens when I'm parking or doing a U turn from a standing still. The steering is fine during normal driving. It doesn't have any fluid leaks, and I have replaced the power steering pump and the O ring seal for the fluid reservoir. I've bled the system a few times. Do you know why this is happening and what I can do to fix it? Thanks.

A: Hi there, thanks for writing in about your ...

Hi there, thanks for writing in about your 2001 Mercedes Benz ML430. This problem could be caused by a slipping belt or a faulty belt tensioner. The power steering pulley needs to be observed while the car is parked and in idle to see if its operation is notchy and not smooth. Notchy operation would mean the belt is slipping either from age or lack of sufficient tension produced by the tensioner. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will have the tools and expertise to diagnose and repair the power steering issue so that the correct repairs and adjustments are made.