Q: Opinion on cylinder deactivation

What's your opinion on cylinder deactivation?

Cylinder deactivation on those cars, let’s say a V8 engine, sometimes runs on 4 cylinders and sometimes runs on 6 or 8. It determines this through computer activation.

The old systems are absolute garbage. GM had one on Cadillac, and it was a piece of garbage. It fell apart and they run like junk. The new ones are completely different designs. They are all computer controlled and some of them work quite well so you get maximum power with the maximum gas mileage when you are just touring around at a steady speed.

But, they are very complex systems and when they break they cost a small fortune to fix. My advice is, if you want a good gas mileage, get a 4-cylinder car or a diesel. If you want power, get a V8 or the turbo charged car. But, don’t think you are going to get a giant past V8 that’s going to get a really good gas mileage with those type of systems. Because, I guarantee it, they’ll all end up having problems, breaking down when they are older. They are so complicated.

3. Opinion on cylinder deactivation