Q: Oil leak and Check Engine Light is on

Oil leak. Just had rear main seal and oil cooler fixed. Still leaking oil and check engine light on again!!!!!

Hi there. Thanks for writing in. In some cases, the oil leaking from the vehicle after a rear main seal and oil cooler are repaired is caused by residual oil that was not cleaned or removed from the vehicle after the service was complete. However, it’s also possible that an oil line was not fully tightened or perhaps another part is leaking; that simply was masked by the oil coming from the main seal or oil cooler.

My advice would be to have a local professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, complete an engine oil leak inspection. This service will allow the mechanic to determine if something was left loose during the original repair, or if something else is causing the leak.