Q: No leak, still losing tons of oil

My 2008 Honda Accord was functioning completely normally for the first 20,000 miles or so. After that, the engine started to act shaky when it was under any real stress. I checked the oil and found that it was low. Little did I know at the time that checking the oil on this car would turn into a weekly ritual. Since then, I have been adding MULTIPLE quarts of oil in between scheduled oil changes. It is extremely disappointing and I do not see the engine lasting very long with this kind of issue. I am at 140,000 miles but it feels like this car might be on its last leg. Is there anything I can do to help the situation a little?

A: It is typical for vehicles with higher mile...

It is typical for vehicles with higher mileage to use or burn some oil due to normal wear and tear, however it is abnormal for a vehicle with twenty thousand miles on it to burn through quarts of oil between oil changes. Having dealt with this vehicle extensively first hand, I can safely assume that there may be two issues that could be working against your vehicle’s engine.

To address your excessive oil consumption, Honda Accords that were manufactured between 2008 and 2012 may have defective valve seals, piston rings, or a flaw in the Variable Timing Electronic Control system. The other possibility deals with the use of inferior gasoline. Lower end gasoline can cause a buildup of sediment or debris in the combustion chamber which can then build up around the piston rings or valve seals, causing them to allow oil to enter the combustion chamber and in turn burn up through the vehicle's exhaust. Engine oil burned in the combustion chamber will prematurely foul the spark plugs, resulting in poor engine performance.

Honda is aware of the issues concerning excessive oil consumption and have released a technical service bulletin to correct the problem. Along with this technical service bulletin, there is also an active class action lawsuit involving Honda and the owners of certain models which would allow these owners to have their warranty extended, enabling it to cover any necessary repairs regarding this concern. I would recommend contacting your local certified Honda dealership to see if your vehicle is eligible for the warranty extension.