Q: My Check Engine Light is on - code P0025

asked by on November 04, 2016

My check engine light is on and it reads code p0025. Also my car shakes and has a lose of power. What can be the issue and around the price to have this fixed?

Hi there. For your 2010 BMW, the [P0025 is the OBD-II error code] that (https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/p0025-obd-ii-trouble-code-camshaft-position-b-timing-over-retarded-bank-2-by-jay-safford) indicates the Engine Control Module (ECM) determines that the exhaust variable camshaft timing for bank 2 is more retarded than what the ECM desires.

This problem is usually caused by the Variable Camshaft Timing (VCT) Oil Control Valve (OCV). When stuck in the open position, the camshaft phaser is damaged and stuck, possibly due to oil flow issues. These will cause the engine to vibrate and lose considerable power.

I recommend having one of our local mechanics complete a Check Engine Light inspection. This will verify what is damaged, so that the correct repairs can be made.