Q: My car tries to crank but won't start. It sounds like it is not getting gas - 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

I've had an issue with my car within about 2 months after purchase. It tries to crank, turns over constantly until you push the button again to turn it off. It almost sounds like it's not getting gas. I had a mechanic look at it and he said it was the primary fuel pump. He swapped it out. I went to pick up a week later and it did the same exact thing again in his parking lot. He kept it a few for days and said he changed the relay on it. It's been working now for 8 weeks no problem, until yesterday. It did the same thing again. My husband was able to get it crank with the remote start key and it shut off on its on. Luckily the second time with remote start it stayed cranked. I'm afraid to keep it at this point but since I just bought it I owe more than trade in value. Any idea what this could be?

A: Hi there. It sounds like it has a bad elect...

Hi there. It sounds like it has a bad electronic ignition switch. I have seen a lot of these fail on this vehicle. I usually do a voltage test of the switch, but most of the time it is the switch. There are other circuits or computers that can cause this also, but that is not nearly as common as the bad electronic ignition switch.

I recommend having a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your home or office to determine why your car is not starting and suggest the necessary repairs.