Q: My car starts up in the morning but wont start up in the afternoon.

For the previous 3 days my car has no issue starting up in the mornings but in the afternoon it does not start up. The starter cranks but the car does not fully start up. I noticed it wants to start for the very first second then dies out. Afterwards it just cranks without starting. I turned on the car with no issues at 5:45am and again at 11:30am. By the afternoon (3:00pm) the car has the issue described above. I was able to get the car running by giving it a running start. The engine starts very low. I press the acceleration pedal down to keep it going and slowly it picks back up to normal. Once The car starts running like normal I can turn it off and restart the car with no problem.

Based on your description, it sounds like you may be having an issue with your fuel system. I would recommend having your fuel pressure tested to determine if the fuel pump is functioning properly. I would recommend having this test done in the afternoon since this is when the issue normally occurs. If the fuel pressure is low, it could be due to a fuel filter as well. However, fuel filters are recommended to be replaced along with the fuel pump anyway. It can be very helpful to test the fuel pressure right before the fuel filter to get an accurate indication of the actual pressure from the pump without any interference from the filter. Consider YourMechanic as fuel pumps and fuel filters can be replaced at your home or office.

Hi there. In some cases, a problem like this is associated with ignition system components that are worn out or loose fitting, while in other cases, it’s due to reduced fuel pressure. This typically happens in cold weather climates, but with it being summertime, that is not likely. I would recommend having a professional mobile mechanic come to your location and complete a car is hard to start inspection, so they can isolate the source of your problem and recommend the right repairs.

3. My car starts up in the morning but wont start up in the afternoon.