Q: My car is losing oil.

asked by on December 18, 2015

I am losing oil and would like to get this problem checked out.

Air filter is clogged Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote
Air Filter Replacement $88.58 - $149.37 Get a Quote

The first thing to have checked is if the engine has any oil leaks that could be the cause of the oil loss. The most likely problem is that the engine oil is being consumed in the engine and going out the exhaust. The manufacturer has a technical service bulletin that indicates the air filter may not be sealing properly and has allowed dirt to get by it and into the engine. The dirt acts like sand paper to the piston rings. The bulletin calls for an air filter housing test for leaks and piston ring replacement. My recommendation is to have the air filter checked and if it is leaking then to have it replaced. Then you should have an oil consumption test to determine if your engine is using excessive oil. If it is, then you could have the piston rings replaced.