Q: my 2001 xterra wont change gears

my 2001 Nissan xterra was taking awhile to change gears then I put 1 qt of transmisson fluid in, and now it wont change gears at all it just isles up high any suggestions

Considering the age and mileage, if the transmission has not been serviced within the last 3-4 years or 60,000 miles, a transmission service MAY help. What is the condition of the transmission fluid ? It should be a reddish pink color. If the fluid is black, burnt, or if the fluid level was low for some time, the transmission may be damaged. Low fluid level increases heat and friction within the transmission and can damage the clutches. If the transmission has never been serviced, then it may have internal components like the front pump or clutches that have failed. It may be best to have a local transmission specialist check the transmission for you.