Q: My 1996 Honda civic won't start

asked by on February 28, 2017

I drove to a Gas Station to use the ATM, car was fine. Walked out of the store and started my car, then drove it to a pump so I could clean my windshield. When I got back in the car it started right up no problem but immediately started sputtering and then died. I let it sit for a minute then proceeded to try and start it again but it wouldn't start. The engine will turn over just fine but will not fire. I've done as much research that I can online but haven't had any success and I am certainly not a mechanic. I bought a new main relay switch 2 days ago and installed it but it did not fix the problem so now I'm out of ideas. Any help or advice would be much appreciated. *just for reference - the night before this incident happened, I was trying to fix my low headlight issue by removing the ground wires and bolts under the hood, scraping the location with a wire brush and put it all back together. (didn't work either lol). Not sure if that effected the car not starting

Hi there. It is very possible that during your under the hood ground wire procedure, the connection was not correctly completed; which can cause additional electrical systems to appear to be faulty. In general, when a car doesn’t start, it’s due to the battery being dead, battery cables being damaged or corroded, the ignition cylinder or relay being damaged, the starter relay or starter being faulty or an ignition or fuel system component requiring replacement. It might be a good idea for you to have a professional mobile mechanic come to your location and complete a car is hard to start inspection before trying to chase parts. It’ll save you a lot of time, money and frustration.