Q: MAF change during cold weather with a P01P0 code on a 2011 Nissan Altima

2011 Nissan Altima. PO1O1. MAF change usually comes on a cold day.

A: On a cold day, electronics have a tendency ...

On a cold day, electronics have a tendency of being affected the most. MAF sensor wires are only 5-volt and only have a tiny amount of power, around 15 to 30 millivolts which is a thousandth of a volt. At times the wiring connections can get dirty and you’ll want to clean them with spray electrical cleaner. Also, check the wiring resistance very well. Follow the wires to see if the installation has fallen off. If you see some bare wires you’ll have to have them rewired.

It’s a very common problem and you want to pray that it’s not the main computer going out. In cold weather conditions, bad computer circuits can often cause this problem to occur and would be a very expensive fix that you can’t do yourself. Computers have to be reprogramed when you buy a new one, for both your car and the anti-theft system. If you buy one, put it in, and turn the key, nothing would happen. A certified mechanic would be able to diagnose the code the trouble code and install a new computer if need be.