Q: Is leaving leaked A/C compressor as is a problem for the car?

My A/C of the Santa fe 2002 was not blowing cold air. I went to repair shop and they tested the A/C system with dye.They found out the compressor was leakng and adviced me to replace the compressor and the kits. That costs around 1000 dollar. I dont have money right now and want to keep the system as is until i save some money in several months. My question is, if I keep the leaked compressor in that situation, will that make any problem for the suv's health?

A refrigerant leak in your vehicle’s A/C system not only allows coolant to leak, but also allows moisture from the atmosphere in the system. Over time this could corrode the A/C lines, evaporator, or condenser, and fill the dryer up with moisture.

It will be fine to drive like this for a while, but eventually, the car can and will overheat. Also, when you need to defrost your windshield, it may take much longer and can be a safety hazard.

When you’re ready, get in touch with YourMechanic. They can visit your home or office to replace your A/C compressor for you.