Q: Starter problem

Just replaced the battery. Went to start the truck and all the lights and everything come on, but it would not turn over. Tried several times and it will start. Once running have no other problems. Made it to work and went to leave after work and the same thing happened. After several attempts, it starts up. Another time I went to start it, it will start right up. My mother said it sounds like a bad spot in the starter? Happened to her.

Hi There, It sounds like you may have a faulty starer relay or potentially a bad starter. If you hear a clicking sound when turning the key, it is quite likely you have a faulty starter solenoid. This is a small unit on the starter that directs power to the starter. When this is faulty, you may get intermittent responses to turning the key as you describe. This may also be a faulty starter relay. The starter relay directs power from the battery to the starter solenoid which then engages the starter when you turn the key. When this is not working properly, you may notice intermittent starting problems including no response when turning the key to start. Generally, when this does fail, it does so very randomly and usually without warning other than intermittent starting. The power from the battery will still power other accessories such as radio, horn, etc., but you may not have any power to the starter. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your starting system.

3. Starter problem