Q: I can hear the fan of the car turning on often, could that indicate serious engine problems?

I'm in the process of buying a used car, while test driving it, I hear the fan of the engine go off. I check to see if the car temperatures were high no sign of the engine overheating what could it mean?

A: Hi, thanks for writing in. Newer vehicles, ...

Hi, thanks for writing in. Newer vehicles, such as the Cruze, run hotter for greater fuel efficiency. It also means the engine is running closer to "maximum" temperature more of the time, which included running the auxiliary electric fan more of the time. As long as the temperature stays in the middle of the gauge under any circumstance during your test drive(s), you should be OK. I would recommend a pre-purchase car inspection from to ensure your confidence that your prospective purchase is a solid vehicle, confirm there are no problems, get an accurate assessment of any damage and cost estimate for repairs. Hope this helps and best of luck!