How to tear down and rebuild a small engine?

Q: How to tear down and rebuild a small engine?

asked by on October 27, 2017

I am in high school, and am really interested in tearing down and rebuilding a small engine. After doing constant googling, I can't seem to find any instructions on how to do this. If anybody out there could help me by referring me to a website or book that has specific instructions, that would be great!

If you are referring to a lawnmower type engine a book such as "Small Engine Repair up to 20 HP" published by Chilton Automotive Books will provide an introduction. If you are referring though to small, say 4 cylinder, automotive engines you can refer to resources such as "Repco Engine Service Manual" or "Automobile Engine Rebuilding and Maintenance" (Chilton, but a bit dated; there are updated versions). If you desire to rebuild an automobile engine to professional standards, you will need the Factory Service Manual or printouts of all data and measurements pertaining to that engine. We are at the beginnings of a transition in the car manufacturing business away from internal combustion (IC) engines in favor of electric motor powered vehicles or hybrid powered vehicles. Therefore, as you explore "conventional" IC engines be aware of opportunities diagnosing and repairing electrically powered systems as opposed to fossil fuel powered systems. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.