Q: How do you use the combination lap and shoulder belts correctly?

How do you use the combination lap and shoulder belts correctly?

One of the most important things to do to provide better safety when you’re on the road is to buckle up. You should never, ever rely solely on the air bags to protect you or your passengers. Of course, you’ll need to know how to use the combination shoulder and lap belts in the car. Here’s how:

• Make sure that the belt is routed correctly. The lap belt should fit over your hips. The shoulder belt should run across your chest and over your shoulder. It should NOT touch your neck.

• To secure the belt, just slide the tongue into the latch. You should feel it lock into place. Tug on it to make sure it’s secure.

• To release the belt, just press the button on the latch and pull the belt out.

Tip

Always make sure your seatback is positioned properly (as upright as possible for comfort), and that you sit all the way back in the seat.