Q: How do you start the engine?

asked by on December 15, 2015

How do you start the engine?

There’s more to starting your engine than just sliding into the driver seat and turning the key. While it’s not super complicated, there are a few steps that you should know. Here they are:

1. Check that the parking brake is on.

2. Make sure the gearshift is in park. For a stick shift, make sure the shifter is in neutral.

3. Put your foot on the brake. For stick shifts, have one foot on the brake and the other on the clutch.

4. Put the key in the ignition.

5. Turn the key to the start position. Once the engine cranks, release the key and it should move back to the on position.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr