Q: How do you check under the car for leaks? Do you have a tool to access the bottom of the vehicle without any issue?

I have a leak coming from my power steering and I'm sure it needs to be accessed from the bottom of the car, just wondering if you are able to lift the car to check under. Just want to make sure the diagnosis will be efficient and accurate. Thank you.

A: Hello. Yes, the tool you are looking for is...

Hello. Yes, the tool you are looking for is commonly referred to as a floor jack. It is a tool that is placed underneath the vehicle, on the vehicle’s lift points, and then pumped, usually by hand, to raise the vehicle so that one may have space to work underneath it. When using a jack, you must always use jack stands, which serve as solid supports for the vehicle’s weight once it is raised.

If you’d like a certified technician to inspect the power steering leak for you, one from YourMechanic would be happy to assist you.