How do i fix reduce engine speed problem reduced power li...

Q: How do i fix reduce engine speed problem

asked by on October 30, 2017

I was driving and all of a sudden the bell went off and the dash read reduced engine speed and the engine light came on and it would not go more than 25 mph

This check engine light is an indication of a major failure in the computer system sensors or systems. You will need to have the computer scanned to get the stored computer codes and then the codes will need to be diagnosed to get the cause of the problem. Have a mechanic like one from yourMechanic come and do the diagnosis for you.

What has happened is that the engine controller has detected a problem that could result in a dangerous failure if you continued to drive at speed. It goes into a failsafe mode where the electronic throttle control limits your engine speed so that you can park the car somewhere without having an accident. There will be one or more trouble codes stored in the ECU describing the problem that the computer detected and these codes can be retrieved by a technician with the appropriate scanning equipment. You can have that done at your convenience by contacting YourMechanic. They will send a technician to your home or office to check out your reduced power warning and let you know what can be done to fix it.