Q: Going through a lot of brake pads on Mazda CX-5

The brakes on my 2013 Mazda CX-5 are very noisy. Replaced the pads at 15,000 miles, which seemed a bit early. Now there is more noise, but I doubt the pads are worn out by now at 24,000 miles. Could this be a mechanical issue?

Hello, noisy brake are probably the number one complaint that exists. Mazda has issued two Technical Service Bulletins for brake noise, TSB 04-004/14 for brake noise and TSB 04-003/14 for rear brake noise with uneven pad wear. If you have had factory pads installed at a dealer then you might have coverage. Whatever axel you had pads replaced on, they should have machined the rotor to give the new pads a clean surface to imbed into and to give the pads a new surface to wear into. If just the pads were replaced, there will be some noise associated with the wear process and will decrease the pad life. If the pads installed were not OEM (original equipment manufacturer) Mazda pads, then there is a greater chance for noise. Mazda had done the research to maximize pad life with the minimal amount of noise. Pads that are bought from another source have a more likely chance of noise due to the material they are made from. Pads that are not OEM may be made from a harder material that will increase life of the pad, but are harder on the rotor. Also consider your driving and braking style and the condition of your drive like hills and high speed driving. To have a break safety inspection you can make an appointment with YourMechanic.

3. Going through a lot of brake pads on Mazda CX-5