Q: Why would my car not move in gear? 2002 Lincoln Continental

Goes in gear but wo t move

Hi - the first task is to check the transmission fluid level to make sure it has adequate and good condition fluid - proper level, red and clear (as opposed to dark and brown/black). If the fluid is dark and dirty, a transmission and filter service is a good idea. Next step is to check for problem codes, always helpful in diagnosis. The forward clutch pack is suspect at this point. I recommend a transmission inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

Hello. If the vehicle is going into gear but it will not move then you may have a serious internal transmission failure. I would usually check the fluid first to make sure it is not low. If the fluid level is fine then I would check the condition of the fluid. If the fluid is really dark or brunt then the transmission has failed. If not then it may have a broken linkage or an electrical issue. If you want to have this looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to you to [diagnose why there is no movement in gear] https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/car-does-not-move-when-i-step-on-the-gas-pedal-inspection