Q: Why would my car not move in gear? 2002 Lincoln Continental

Goes in gear but wo t move

Hello. If the vehicle is going into gear but it will not move then you may have a serious internal transmission failure. I would usually check the fluid first to make sure it is not low. If the fluid level is fine then I would check the condition of the fluid. If the fluid is really dark or brunt then the transmission has failed. If not then it may have a broken linkage or an electrical issue. If you want to have this looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to you to [diagnose why there is no movement in gear] https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/car-does-not-move-when-i-step-on-the-gas-pedal-inspection

Hi - the first task is to check the transmission fluid level to make sure it has adequate and good condition fluid - proper level, red and clear (as opposed to dark and brown/black). If the fluid is dark and dirty, a transmission and filter service is a good idea. Next step is to check for problem codes, always helpful in diagnosis. The forward clutch pack is suspect at this point. I recommend a transmission inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.